What We Do
RMHC WA gives families with sick or injured children what they need most – each other.
Western Australia is one of the most isolated health jurisdictions in the world. It can create mental health and well-being challenges for young WA patients and their families who need to access complex or critical healthcare in Perth for weeks, months and sometimes over years.
Far from home, jobs, schools and communities; financial and emotional burden can adversely affect a family’s life, well-being and importantly, the patient experience and outcomes.
Ronald McDonald House Charities WA’s (RMHC WA) purpose is to keep patients and families together and resilient. To achieve this, RMHC WA’s supported accommodation, facilities and programs integrate with hospital infrastructure to optimise efficiencies, patient access and experience of healthcare – 24/7, 365 days a year.
Ronald McDonald House Charities’ family-centred care model is globally renowned for the quality and efficacy of its service. The model recognises family well-being as a critical foundation to short and longer-term outcomes for young patients beyond their hospital treatment.
Facilities and Programs
- Nedlands House (QEII Medical Centre): ‘Home away from home’ supported accommodation and facilities (domestic, recreational) for 47 patients and their families. Includes two isolation units.
- Perth Children’s Hospital House: Supported in-hospital accommodation for 14 parents or carers with children in critical care.
- Continued Education: Ronald McDonald Learning Program provides tutors and therapeutic support for sick or injured children to continue their education and connection with school peers. Available throughout the state.
- Bass Family Foundation Learning Centre: In-House learning facility available to young patients and their siblings. Program incorporates school curriculum, therapeutic play and First Nations culture activities.
- Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at Perth Children’s Hospital. In-hospital support and experiences for learning, play, family wellbeing. Includes dedicated cultural space for First Nations patients, families and visitors.
- Family Respite Retreats. Access to two holiday homes in southwest WA.
Ronald McDonald House Program
For Western Australian families with seriously ill children requiring medical treatment in Perth, RMHC WA provides them with quality supported accommodation 24/7, 365 days a year.
Our Ronald McDonald Family Retreats in Busselton and Bunbury offer a welcomed sanctuary for families to reconnect, relax and play together; an experience most of us take for granted.
Ronald McDonald Family Rooms
Ronald McDonald Family Rooms offer comforting sanctuaries in hospitals for families to rest, reconnect and relax during hospital visits.
Our Family Rooms are staffed by our Family Liaison Officers to provide friendly, compassionate support.
Ronald McDonald Learning Program
When your child falls ill and requires complex medical treatment far from home, attending school is often not a possibility.
The Ronald McDonald Learning Program (RMLP) aims to bridge the gap for students whom often miss out on school due to a medical illness.
Integer feugiat scelerisque varius morbi enim nunc. Nunc mi ipsum faucibus vitae aliquet nec ullamcorper. Sapien pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et. Non odio euismod lacinia at quis risus sed. Cras fermentum odio eu feugiat pretium nibh. Erat velit scelerisque.